Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Fido the Zombie

The film crew is staying on campus, where I'm working over the summer. I missed the casting call, which was held on Saturday, because I was away in Calgary for a conference. I was really looking forward to trying my hand at playing a zombie. How cool would it be to play a zombie in a movie? Even if it is a 'family-comedy zombie film'. So my hope is that the film is shot here on campus and I can just kinda hang out when they are shooting film. Then they can say, "You! We need an extra. Sit down and eat this pudding."

War of the Worlds...
what can I say about that? I read the book (both books, actually). All ~140 pages of martian invasions. I then borrowed the 1950's movie from the campus library and I have to tell you that the modernity of the changing times really sucks. The story tells of an invasion of martians on 100 foot tall tripods with mounted heat-rays and a slight reference to a single martian flying machine. Keep in mind the story was written in the late 1800's. The 1950's movie tells the story of a martian invasion using flying ships that are near indestructable.

The martians in the book were not indestructable, the martians simply took out the earths defenses before they could be drawn upon the invaders. And the martians of the book were huge round bodies with big eyes and small face who were too weak to maneuver about in earths gravity. The old movie shows bipedal creatures with a single eye who have no problem running about in earths (comparably) strong gravity.

At least the endings compare... I won't spoil it for you because the 2005 Spielburg film is released in just over a month. You'll probably want to see how it ends for yourself. So I just have this to say about the new film. I've watched all the trailers and TV spots in both english and japanese versions and it looks good. I am, however, a bit skeptical of how Spielburg is handling the mobility of the alien invaders. I'd still like to see 100 foot tall tripod walking machines with mounted heat-rays. But I guess with the ever-changing technology of earth as time continues, the walking machines would seem antique and truncated. It can be done right in reference of todays technology, I suppose. But I'd still like to see weak, fat blobs riding tripods while they roast people to death.

-One third a major city's population wiped out in the course of a month

No comments:

Followers