Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Upcoming beach party

I'm fortunate enough to live in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.

Yeah, this is a little piece of city park. Vendors set up tables along this stretch of walkway here. Farther down the walkway is a skate park and water park. All along the waterfront is sandy beach, which stretches from end to end of Kelowna's city limits. To the left is the grassy area of the park. Immediately to the right are the sails:

and a ways more to the right is the Grand Hotel with their dolphin fountain:

It is this area I want to discuss. Every year (at least for the last few years) WakeFest is hosted here. It's a 3 day beach party, really, with professional wakeboarders competing for $40,000 Canadian.

Last years party featured such bands as The Ataris (RAWK! >_<) and Andrew W.K.. At $18 a day pass or $43 for the whole weekend, it's a steal. Unfortunately I didn't make it last year. I did, however, stand at the fence and waited for The Ataris to play their gig. I stood in the rain for an hour, shielding my girlfriend from the rain, on our rollerblades. She did that for me, and we never did get to hear them play. But I'm sure the show was awesome.

This year is featuring Alexisonfire with Comeback Kid and some other bands (De La Soul with Sweatshop Union). Should be ok. Friday, at least. I'd pay $18 to see Comeback Kid and Alexisonfire. And let's not neglect to mention the local ladies and their bikinis (my girlfriend especially. She just bought a new bikini, pretty in pink).

And if I could bring your attention to a local band, Glory Nights. These guys are going to make it big. They are playing in the Warped Tour at the Vancouver show. Click and spread it amongst your friends.

-Back to my paying job, now

2 comments:

Stephanie Lau said...

Actually, that does look pretty nice :)

kyle said...

Swimming in fresh water. You can lick your lips and not say "Eww, that tastes like bird pee". The city has a good summer agenda with "Friday Nights Alive" where they have one or two different locations throughout the park where bands entertain the tourists. But it's good for the locals, too.

Followers